Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Unzipped in L.A.?


Now that I got your attention, I want to introduce myself. I am a concerned resident in Los Angeles, CA. More specifically, I live in West Los Angeles, near an area called "Beverly Hills Adjacent". I have been living in this neighborhood since 1999 and living in Los Angeles since 1996.

I like my neighborhood. It's quiet most of the time and very close to areas of my interest. My only gripe and reason for this blog is the neighborhood doesn't feel like an organized group of concerned citizens. I don't expect everyone to hang out with each other or have potlucks and block parties. I just want the residents here to take more pride in their neighborhood.

I am completely unzipped by shopping carts taken from one particular market, Elat Market, and dumped in my neighborhood by patrons of this market. They push the carts all the way home from the market and dump the cart in front of apartment buildings, my house, and in the alleys. It seems one market is really responsible for the mess. I have been annoyed by this for quite some time and now I feel it's time for some action. It's really feeling the the slums of Beverly Hills.


I have surfed and "Googled" "shopping cart theft" and have found some articles I think you will find interesting. Are you a concerned neighbor? If you live in another state or county, do you have the same problem? I was riding my bike along the Ballona Creek/L.A. River path the other day and saw carts in the river. Along with carts in the river were those nasty plastic bags from the supermarket. I'm tired of living in filth. I want more people to be concerned. If you are, feel free to add a comment. I'd like to hear from you. -Jessica

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great blog.. so helpful! I have the exact same problem with shopping carts and complete losers mucking up and trashing my neighborhood too...

I live on a really nice street in Van Nuys and we have shopping cart after shopping cart being abandoned on our street and even being left ON OUR LAWNS!! It's really unbelievable.

We unfortunately live off of a really busy street and also have apartment complexes next door so it's been a constant problem from day one.

Overflow parking from the apartments ends up on our street and of course since people don't know what trash cans are they just clean out there cars of burger wrappers and coke bottles and throw them on our lawns..(I don't understand why people have to act like this?!! NO RESPECT!)

And then the shopping carts.. well, I've been watching and it seems to be one guy in particular.. he parks right in front of our house (practically IN our driveway sometimes he pulls up so far - it makes me absolutely insane).. leaves for about 20-30 minutes with a giant black trash bag and then comes back with an overflowing bag full of recycling and pushing it in a cart he found somewhere. After hauling his trash bag into the back of his pick up truck he just leaves his beautiful shopping right in front of my half a million dollar house..:)

So, what I've done is report him to the city as an illegal dumper! I wrote down his license plate and noted when he usually comes by our neighborhood. I'M PRAYING the city actually does something about this. I really can't take it anymore. If they don't come through for me though I'm going to contact that Shopping Cart Retrieval place you suggested and see if they can at least come pick these things up in a timely manner so our beautiful neighborhood can stop looking like the projects!!

Anyway, thanks again for all the contact numbers... I will definitely be putting them to good use!

E.E.